Sunday, January 1, 2012

Speaking of New Year . . .

Another sub-niche of my article writing has involved writing about holidays and celebrations.

In a previous post, I talked about setting New Year’s resolutions.

That, actually, is not something I normally actually do.

I do try to do what I call a “look back/look ahead” activity.

Here, again, I hearken back to traditional in-a-blank book, with a pen, in longhand journaling.

I try to take some time . . . if possible, starting around New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day [I’m not into New Year’s Eve partying OR going to First Night events] to review any journaling I’ve done in the past year and make note and comment on things that have developed over that year.  I allow myself anywhere from a week to a month to complete the project [if I’m going to, some years I haven’t finished the full year review] and assess both achievements and disappointments in the course of that year.

From there, I try to define some objectives . . . ideas too loose to actually call goals . . . of what I want to work towards in the upcoming year.

I find this much more enjoyable than the traditional “resolution” exercise, and also, usually, more productive than the traditional exercise.

Do you plan to take time to review your past year and reflect on the things you’ve achieved, as well as project what direction you’d like to go for the coming year?

2 comments:

  1. I have some friends who traditionally host an Old Year's Wake on the evening of January 1, instead of the more common New Year's Party on December 31. At midnight, we each say a brief eulogy for the year that has passed, what we learned, what we lost, and so on. It's been a wonderful tradition for the decade or so I've been attending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a different and unique way of going about things.

    Sounds like a worthwhile tradition to continue on with.

    ReplyDelete