Thursday, December 20, 2012

Spiritual Seasons


In younger days, I never liked them.  Well, at least not the ones dictated by someone else’s calendar.

We all – those of us of faith – of course, have them.

We have times when our exploration of spiritual truths are deeper, more heartfelt, richer.

This year, I have been exceedingly grateful for Advent.  For Catholic believers, Advent is --- or at least should be – penitential but yet also joyfully anticipatory.  A season of active waiting.

I don’t know what our parish would have done without that kind of spiritual posture after the horrific events in Newtown, Connecticut which seemed to have affected many profoundly.  And now, with the more recent news that scammers have sought to take advantage of this tragedy.  It just boggles the mind.

It so happened that I had decided I wanted to do some serious spiritual exploration during Advent even before the Season began.  I am working several spiritual studies, keeping in balance with my regular professional and personal activities.

This has also enriched my writing life in some ways:  giving new purpose and direction to some of my activities in that area.

Advent, this year at least, is to me a reflection of the flow of life:  as Ecclesiastes has it:  “a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.”

It is a perspective very much needed in these deeply troubled times.







No comments:

Post a Comment