Monday, December 10, 2012


Creativity feeding Creativity


Most writers I know are highly creative people.  Of course, the act of writing in itself is creative, in most if not all its forms even to some degree the dry, factual manuals of technical writing.

Yet, many of the writers I know exercise their creativity in at least one, and often more, forms of expression.

Many of the female writers I know are talented needlework crafters in one, and sometimes several forms of needle crafts.  Crocheting, knitting, embroidery, sometimes all three, and the odd writer here and there that works a weaving loom.

Others are creative in the kitchen:  designing imaginative pot luck meals for community or work-related events.

The”guys” or “dudes” I know who are writers are often handy with mechanical things, and can tear down and rebuild a car.  Or, they are skilled in woodworking or carpentry more generally.

This is another place to look when one faces a stubborn writer’s block:  to other areas of creativity to feed the writing spirit.

This is on my mind right now because with an inevitable relocation coming up sometime within the next few months, I’m trying to get rather creative with meals.  Over time, I’ve collected quite an assemblage of nonperishable foods.  Knowing I need to use many up before too long, I’ve begun looking at my cookbooks – especially those such as ones for making up casseroles – specifically looking to use up items in my stores.

This is inspiring in terms of ideas for writing, as well.

So, another strategy for writer’s block is to apply your creativity elsewhere for a time, and let that inspire your ideas for your writing.

If you apply your creativity to your food preparation, you can literally feed your creative spirit, pointing you back to your writing passion with fresh, fun ideas.





No comments:

Post a Comment