Monday, May 21, 2012

Spring/Summer and Nostalgia

Ahh, Spring.

Two weeks ago, I was wearing a winter coat.  Two weeks from now, I’ll , in all probability be wearing short sleeves.

Any season can make a bid for a nostalgic sentiment, but Spring and Summer have their own demands in this way.

On the return commute a few days ago, I encountered . . . separately . . . two antique cars coming the other way on the local surface road I take.  They seem to come out around this time of year.

One was about a 1950 vintage.  The other one was even older:  almost into the Model A/Model T vintage.

They both set me to thinking about childhood experiences.

I think the 1950 era antique car was not of the same make as my Mom’s car, but it had [as do all cars of that era] that same “look.”  The car that came across my path a few days ago was aqua and white, which must have cost a pretty penny back then since “custom” colors like aqua were for the rich.

During my childhood years, we had a 1950 Buick Special [dark green] that looked much like this vehicle.

The other car didn’t set off as much nostalgia, since that was even before MY time for anyone to have one.  My strongest association with that one is enjoying “The Waltons” for some years:  mostly in syndication.  During “The Waltons” first-run I was in college;  too busy in a sense being John-Boy to watch it on TV except during summer vacations.

But, this happenstance encounter with two antique cars in the same commute got me in the nostalgia mindset:  which relates to some of my writing niches.

So, anticipate some upcoming posts on Sunday afternoon pizza for supper, beach expeditions, and the like for upcoming entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment