Saturday, May 5, 2012

New England Ambience

New England Ambience

Well . . . the fact that “travel” is one of my niche areas in writing gives me the chance to write about regions.  Including my own, being a native New Englander.

So, one of the aspects of New England ambience that has been on my mind lately involves the New England clam shack.

Firstly, I love seafood:  and particularly fried clams.

But, then . . . I just love the ‘rough and ready’ ambience of the New England clam shack.

I remember, some years back, I was working as a temporary office support person in a situation where a local financial institution had been taken over by the FICA people or something to that effect.

Meaning that, with a sprinkling of other New England natives who had been officers at the closed institution, most of those I worked with had flown in from places like Texas and were living for a few months at “residential inns” at a time when that was a brand-new concept.

I do remember one exchange of explaining the local clam shacks to one of the, as it were, “foreigners.”

The Texas-origin FICA lady was wearing a peasant blouse and khakis, about as “business casual”, short of shorts, one could get [especially in the financial industry!]

We were trying to tell her about the clam shack experience.

I recall the other woman from N.E. saying to our associate:  “You’re overdressed in what you’re wearing.”

I still recall the look on the woman’s face.

But . . . apart from the tastiness of the food at these places, this is precisely the kind of ambience that makes the experience both fun and specifically “New England.”

Where else, aside perhaps from the tropics where clothes almost cannot be mandatory due to climate conditions, can you go where bathing suits and flip-flops are included in the appropriate attire for a public eatery?

Ahhh, New England!  You gotta love it.




No comments:

Post a Comment