Saturday, May 5, 2012

Defining the Scope of the Problem

Defining the Scope of the Problem

Among my rather broad-ranging interests within the general area of “writing” is the matter of challenges facing those who learn English other than “from the cradle,” whether they are developmentally delayed or whether they (more commonly in terms of my personal experience) are English as a Second Language learners.

While, as the Blog title “Writings, Etc.,” reflects, any writing-related topic is fair game, I have tried so far to focus on areas that would interest native speaker/writers of English either concerned with business-and-technical writing, or in a serious way with “creative writing.”

I recently had occasion to ask someone interested in developing English writing skills who is, essentially, learning the language as an adult the kind of topic he would like to see discussed in such a blog as this.

When he gave me his answer, I briefly researched one aspect I wanted to cover in a series of posts:  and realized he had hit upon a gigantic motherlode of raw material for a set of entries for this blog.

He indicated he would like to read about “word usage.” 

Well, at first I thought he meant using words correctly, which I know he has some challenges with.

But then he also made a point about wanting to have access to better ways to learn new words:  which is technically vocabulary development.

Now, apart from the fact that those are in a sense two different . . . although related . . . topics, each of them lends itself to multiple sub-topic areas.

At the same time, some other possible topics for coverage have come to my attention. 

So, I’m launching a series of Blog entries on different topics hopefully within the next week or two.

But for those interested in the challenges and potential solutions pertaining to the cultivation of vocabulary and usage skills for adults . . . primarily but not necessarily those learning English as a second language [as opposed to lack of education, developmental delays eventually resolved, and any number of other causes], I thought I’d start with an introductory post and a list of the sub-topic areas I now know of that factor into exploring the challenges of honing English skills in this situation. 

I do not rule out finding new sub-topic areas as I go along.

And there should be some fun for my blog readers along the way.  For example, we will take at least one stop along the way looking at nursery rhymes, songs, and other children’s “play” language exposure, like jump-rope songs.

I also want to make a note to my regular readers:  in posts on this topic, I anticipate that I will use words I would not use normally in similar contexts. 

That is because of my potential audience.

In business writing, it is good to have a great vocabulary, but reader accessibility is paramount.

In business writing, I can think of some, but very few, contexts in which I would use either the word “hone” or the word “paramount.”

BUT . . . if I am to go by my informant, vocabulary acquisition is a big concern and challenge.

And by my own experience . . . part of the solution is exposure.

So, ALSO in business writing, audience is paramount.  The demand of this audience is ‘make it attractive, but give us [new/unknown] WORDS, WORDS, WORDS.  The more unusual, the better.’

And I’m going to do my best to fulfill that anticipation.

So, for those more interested in the other aspects of writing I cover, I will be using words like “paramount” and “hone” knowing that THIS audience will WANT to look them up in a dictionary if they don’t know them.

When, for example, I’d rarely use such words either in business writing or in fiction with certain exceptions.

With that warning and caveat (I know of a few folks who teach ESL people, also who may have an interest.), here are some sub-topics to look at for those interested in this area of writing skills:  



Young’uns learn languages in ALL languages, why is English differenet?
[Or, the history and structure or English]

Natural acquisition processes [or why Sally may be much more literate than Brucie, or vice versa.]

Cultural issues:  yesterday, today, and tomorrow

The nature of a working vocabulary [including what’s wrong with the definitions I’ve run across in my research so far.]

The comparative level of working vocabulary for contemporary versus historical timeframes.

The impact of learning styles

Issues of exposure [related to learning styles and levels of working vocabulary at different historical times]

Complications for adult learners that “learning experts” appear not to take into account

Resources to advance the “cause.”


Those are my starters:  and those are more than one post apiece.





It’s a bit ironic that the person who asked this, while our first encounter suggested otherwise, is in fact doing all the right things that life makes accessible to him.

Hopefully, I can contribute a little bit to the progress quotient with this [in terms of the enormity of the problem as I now see it] humble effort.



Hope to see you in the audience.


Krista


No comments:

Post a Comment