Monday, December 26, 2011

Needlework and writing . . .


As I mentioned in my opening post, I have seven areas that I consider “niche” areas I’ve written significantly in.

The relationship of books and reading to writing is obvious.  But . . . needlework?

One of those is crafts, and though my writing in the area of crafts has been on more generalized, I myself am an experienced knitter, crocheter, and embroiderer.

Many writers see a strong connection between needlework crafts and the craft of writing.

No less an author than Shakespeare used the metaphor of knitting in his plays.  For Shakespeare, sleep acted to “knit up the raveled sleeve of care.”

The process of creating a crocheted or knitted piece in some ways parallels the writing process.  As does the writer, the needleworker starts with a mental vision, follows an existing pattern or creates a new one, and uses the supplies available to craft a finished piece of work.  For the crafter, the supplies are yarn or thread and needles or hooks.  For the writer, the supplies are a computer facility, or pen or pencil and paper, and possible research notes and an outline or other planning device.

Another needlework-to-writing parallel you may find in common currency involves the observation that fiction writers “weave” a story together.

Even in business writing, needlework can become an analogy.  On overly verbose report, or, worse, one with misleading information we may hear referred to as one that the writer “embroidered” some of the content of the report.

Because of these sorts of parallels in the two worlds of crafting and writing, the two crafts of needlework and writing have more in common than those unfamiliar with either or both might first suppose.

I hope you’ve enjoyed, found useful, or both some of these reflections.

Feel free to stop by again.  Just starting the blog has given me many ideas for posts, so I anticipate as I get it up and running I will be posting new content frequently.


No comments:

Post a Comment