Friday, December 20, 2013

Time (Past Time) for an Update


Obviously, I’ve not done well keeping up with this blog once again.  I’ve had a number of situations going on in my life dating back about a year, and it’s kept me from getting to everything I should get to.

Some of the things I’ve been involved in, writing-wise, have led me to decide that it’s going to be to my advantage to update this blog before another weekend begins.

In that sense, I’m effectively getting a jump on my ‘New Year’s resolutions’ process.  I decided that the thing to do is get at least an update entry on the blog, and then spend part of the weekend going through my at-home resources looking for other possible topics for this blog to write up for posting over the course of the next few weeks.

I don’t actually do, per se, New Year’s resolutions.  What I do is what I call a “look back/look ahead” where I try to evaluate where I’ve been and where I’m headed at the new year (approximately) compared with the previous start of the year.  It’s often a journaling based exercise, and if often takes a month or so to do thoroughly.  One of the easiest blog entries to do, of course, is some sort of book or website review on a topic related to writing or the teaching of writing skills.  At this particular time, I am exploring some opportunities to do such reviews for websites that pay for guest posts of a review nature.  Not every book I’ve encountered lately is likely to be suited for submission to such markets, of course, but I need to spend some time looking through what I have and sorting out what to review for which website – including this blog.

I hope to do that this weekend, as well as some other activities that I hope will lead to additional blog posts for this blog and other ideas for various other websites I hope to participate with in the upcoming weeks.  For me, in a sense, this harkens back to my earliest days as a ‘working’ writer:  which in this case means writing in ‘professional approach’ manner to get my first few credentials as a writer.  I’ve always been one to look at what I have to work with and set some goals based on that, then follow through on the production and submission aspects of that.

It’s a good time of the year to reinstate that habit.  Hopefully, the result – or at least a part of it – is that I’ll have some blog entries for readers soon.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment